Tax your vehicle

Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle using a reference number from:

You can pay by debit or credit card, or Direct Debit.

You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay anything, for example if you’re exempt because you’re disabled.

You’ll need to meet all the legal obligations for drivers before you can drive.

This service is also available in Welsh.


Change your car’s tax class to or from ‘disabled’

You may need to change your vehicle’s tax class, for example if either:

взять здесь микрозаймы онлайн в Казахстане

  • your car was previously used by a disabled person
  • you’re disabled and taxing your car for the first time

You cannot pay by Direct Debit over the phone.

At a Post Office

Go to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax. You need to take either:

  • the payment for your vehicle tax
  • your bank or building society account details to set up a Direct Debit

You will not need these payment details if your vehicle is exempt from tax.

You also need to take one of the following:

  • your vehicle log book (V5C) (it must be in your name)
  • the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book if you’ve just bought it

If you do not have any of these documents, you’ll need to apply for a new log book.

You might also need your MOT test certificate (it must be valid when the tax starts).

It can take up to 2 days for MOT information to be updated, so you might not be able to tax your vehicle immediately after it passes its test.

In Northern Ireland you also need an insurance certificate or cover note.

If the vehicle is off the road

Register that your vehicle is off the road, for example you’re keeping it in a garage. You do not need to tax your vehicle.

Leave a comment

  • 0.0